Skip to main content

Journal Entry #1- Media Taking Over our Lives

The first point I thought was important was, that we spend 10-12 hours a day with media. I find this interesting because I did not think that on average I would spend that much time with media. That is half of your day spent with media, so that would be on average half of your life.This relates to myself because I know that someday I probably do spend 10-12 hours with media and just can not keep track. Another point that I found interesting was, that media can be beautiful and also dangerous. I find this interesting because I never thought that media could be all that dangerous, because in my opinion it is mostly just advertising, and I would never think that advertising could be dangerous. Other points that were interesting to me in the videos were, the questions about media. The first question that I copied down was, "What techniques are used to attract my attention?" I found this question interesting because there are a lot of advertisements that do attract my attention, and it would be interesting to see what it is exactly that attracts my attention, and other peoples attention. The other interesting question I found interesting was "What was the message sent?" this is an interesting question because when getting all tied up in a good and interesting advertisement you may not even know what message is being sent. I am concerned that with what the media has to offer, it will take over everyone's lives.

Comments

  1. Maddie,

    You make some strong observations and effectively connect them to your own experiences. I was also a bit skeptical of the averages they offer on how much time people spend with media. I recently started tracking my usage on my iPad using an app called "Moments." If you have never tried it, you may want to consider it. There is also one for Android devices called "QualityTime." I was a bit shocked on how many hours I spend on it some days. And that is just one way I would consume media during the day, not including radio, TV, reading, computer, etc.

    Thanks,
    AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maddie,

    I thought that your comment about how long we spend on social media to be very interesting. At first glance, I also wouldn't believe that people spend that much time with media, but looking even at myself I can say that I sometimes spend that long looking at a screen, taking in media. Also, I would have never thought that media could be dangerous either, but when it really comes down to it, a lot of the information we get is from the media. If the media is spreading information that is false, and we're taking it in since we spend SO much time on media, it can be really dangerous and cause many problems. Overall, I think you made some very good points in your observations.

    Cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. It honestly did not occur to me that we spend more than half of our lives with media, and now that you point it out I find it an unsettling thought to think. I enjoyed the line, "..in my opinion [media] is only just advertising, and I never thought advertising could be dangerous." I find when we are not aware of these sort of things we are never thinking about it, and so nothing is being addressed or changed. No one is looking at an advertisement and thinking, "omg this is going to imprint on my brain and potentially change the way I perceive other people." It's an interesting thing to think about. Overall I thought this was well done. You had some interesting points and great observations.
    -Jules

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Maddie's Morning Routine

Canadian Guy